Friday, March 7, 2014

Mindfulness


My weeks often make me feel like I’m in a whirlwind I often can’t wait to get to the end so  I can calm down a little bit.  Amidst all the busyness I often find that one of the best ways to calm down is to just stop and take in live fully in the present moment.
I have so much to be thankful for. Some people are busy because they’re working two jobs and trying to support a family. I’m busy because I’m finishing up my undergraduate work and building my portfolio through my school paper and going to events with my college ministry and spending time with my family.
Mindfulness is a big buzzword going around right now, and it simply means stopping to enjoy the moment.
I’m a very future-minded person and I’m always thinking about what I need to be doing next. This can put some serious hindrances on me being fully aware of the what’s going on around me to say the least.
This week I found myself drifting off during my statistics class, thinking about all I needed to do this weekend, when in reality I needed to be paying attention in class so I would have less studying to do later for the class. It was a small but powerful example for me of why I needed to keep my head in the game and to live in each moment. Statistics class isn’t something that I always particularly enjoy, but paying attention during it actually ends up saving me a lot of time in the long run.
Practicing mindfulness can help so much in the crazy, busy world of a college student though.


So next time you find yourself drifting off, stop and remember that living in the moment is the best way to enjoy what you have.


No comments:

Post a Comment